History of the Society
The Wolfeboro Historical Society was
formed September 1, 1925 and incorporated August 31, 1926. Its
by-laws were developed by J.T. Meader, Miss L. Maude Cate and
Mrs. Mabel Hatch and approved August 13, 1929. The Society has
leased the Clark House from the Town of Wolfeboro since July 7,
1927. In 1959 the Town gave the Society a lease on the Pleasant
Valley Schoolhouse when it was moved to the Clark House grounds.
The firehouse was added to the Clark Museum Complex in 1982.
Currently the Clark Museum Complex, consisting of four
buildings with the recent addition of the Barn, is owned by the
Town of Wolfeboro and is operated by the Wolfeboro Historical
Society. A 2006 presentation by Jim Rogers to the BOS gained
approval to reconstruct an antique 1820's barn on the property.
The barn construction was completed and opened to the public on
July 3, 2018. The Board of Selectmen accepted the donation of
the barn from WHS to the Town of Wolfeboro on November 7, 2018.
Mission of the Wolfeboro Historical Society
The objective of the Society shall be the
encouragement of interest in the history of the Town of
Wolfeboro, NH, by all appropriate means, including the
collection, display and care of articles of historic interest
pertaining to the history of Wolfeboro, and the ownership, lease
or operation of property involved therewith for the benefit of
this and future generations. (Source: Wolfeboro Historical
Society by-laws, Article II - Objective)
The Wolfeboro Historical Society maintains
files on a variety of local history topics. These are available
for use by contacting us as shown on the Contact Us page.
Copies of Bowers' History of Wolfeboro
Copies of Parker's History of Wolfeboro
Copies of Around Dimon's Corner, a History of North Wolfeboro
An extensive library on local history topics
Approximately 300 file folders on various local topics
Approximately 110 genealogy folders
Extensive research on buildings and homes in Wolfeboro